Please join the Chicago Area Runners Association for one of our NEW monthly Race Director Clinics. These clinics are aimed at both new and experienced race directors who are looking to increase their skills, better understand the CARA Best Practices Guidelines as well as network with fellow event, running club and charity organization leaders.
Each clinic date will follow the same agenda and each will feature a unique guest speaker making each clinic a new opportunity for learning. Additionally, time will be set aside at each clinic for active dialog and we look forward to learning from you as well as sharing some of our experiences!
When: First Tuesday of Every Month at 6:00PM
Where: CARA Office (549 W. Randolph St, Suite 704, Chicago, IL) Note: May clinic will be in Elmhurst (Sandburg Middle School / East Doors)
Registration: FREE - Register Here!
- 6:00PM - Welcome and Introductions
- 6:10PM - CARA Best Practices Guidelines
- Greg Hipp, CARA's Director of Events & Road Race Services will present the guidelines and best practices for how to accomplish each requirement for both large and small races.
- 7:00PM - Guest Speaker
- Each month a different guest speaker from the local racing and event comminity will present on a different educational topic.
- 7:30PM - Group Discussion
- 8:00PM - Clinic Close
- December 6, 2016 - Dave Kappas "Trends in Chicago Racing"
- Dave Kappas is the Voice of Chicago running. His voice and professional announcing are known throughout Chicagoland and nationally. Not only does Dave bring an incredible announcing talent to local racing, he brings a unique perspective for race directors. Through his announcing and consulting work Dave is able to view and learn what trends are working, and what old tactics are not. From presentation to operations Dave is able to provide a unique look into race production for races big and small.
- January 3, 2017 - Alona Banai, CARA's Partnership Marketing Coordinator
- Alona will help prepare race directors for how to prepare for and deliver a sponsorship sales pitch. From sales strategies to developing a sales deck for your event.
- February 7, 2017 - Zach Edmonson, Big River Race Management
- March 7, 2017 - Kimberley Stedman, F3 Events
- Kimberley will present on branding and collaborative marketing strategies and cross promoting for your race.
- April 4, 2017 - Ty McCarty, Proud to Run
- Ty will be presenting on LGBTQ Best Practices for race directors and their races. The Proud to Run is a 2017 CARA Runners' Choice Circuit Race.
- May 2, 2017 - Bob Richards, Elmhurst Running Club (NOTE: This clinic will be hosted in Elmhurst, Sandburg Middle School)
- Bob is the race director for the Elmhurst Running Club 4 on the 4th. His event was the 2015 CARA Race of the Year. Bob will present on how to create a race team from within your organization, including discussion on identifying and recruiting key persons, delegation and communication within your team.
- June 6, 2017 - Colin Castein, Race Roster
- July 11, 2017 - TBD (Second Tuesday of the month due to July 4th conflict)
- August 1, 2017 - TBD
- September 5, 2017 - TBD
- October 3, 2017 - TBD
- November 7, 2017 - TBD
- December 5, 2017 - TBD
Race Directors who attend will receive a reduced CARA Race Certification fee rate for their events of $50 off for all applications for 2017.
Clinic dates subject to change. Changes will be posted on this page and e-mailed to registrants.