All CARA training programs rely on Group Leaders to provide guidance, knowledge, and motivation to help runners successfully complete their training. Group leaders have three primary responsibilities:
Keep Runners Safe, Accurately Pace their Group and Keeping their Group Organized
- Experience / Pace - You should have a background in racing the distance you plan to lead and be comfortable running the pace you plan on leading. Past experience as a participant in CARA training is preferred.
- Leader Training - Group leaders will be asked to complete a group leader training session. CPR certification will also be offered to all group leaders free of charge.
- Attendance - Group leaders must commit to consistent attendance and avoiding absences through all 18 weeks of training.
- CARA Membership - Group leaders are required to hold an active CARA membership.
- Policies / Communications - Group leaders are expected to follow and promote CARA training program policies, follow the CARA training plan when leading their group, encourage participants to take part in training program events (Ready to Run 20 Miler and Marathon VIP), positively support CARA and stay informed on CARA communications. Group leaders must not be unsubscribed from CARA e-mail communications.
To Apply - Group leaders must still complete the Group Leader Application for each program they intend to group lead. New for upcoming programs, group leaders who are accepted will be automatically registered for the training program and will no longer be required to complete a secondary participant registration form. An active CARA membership is required before accessing the group leader application form. If you can not access the form first check and update your membership status. If you need to join or renew please allow three business days for your membership to update. Packets may still be picked up in person for free at locations to be announced. Group leaders wishing to have their packet mailed will be provided a option after acceptance (fee not included) to set up this service. Note: Those who apply to be a group leader but are not accepted, and still wish to participate as a program participant, will have to register again as a fee paying participant.
All accepted group leaders' fees are waived for the CARA Training Program they group lead and are invited to the CARA Annual Volunteer Party which includes a free gift!